Chinese take out is an indulgence that doesn’t happen for my family often. Mostly because we live in a small town with no take out option. That is probably a good thing because Chinese food is not the cleanest option for take out food. It is often loaded with MSG, sadly.
However, my kids LOVE lo mein. I decided to try my hand at to be able to serve my kids one of their favorites dishes and nourish them at the same time! This chicken lo mein is gluten, dairy, egg and MSG free.
It was surprisingly easy to do and it is fast to throw together. (I love things that go fast!!) This also can be done in one pot! Score! I love when I don’t have a ton of dishes to do.
We use (affiliate link) this brand of rice pasta but you could sub in real rice noodles or if you are not gluten free, go for the wheat kind.
This dish is loaded with lots of vegetables, pasture raised meat and super nourishing bone broth, you really can’t go wrong with for a fun Friday night dinner and movie with the family.
If you are looking for a substitute for soy sauce, go with (affiliate link) coconut aminos.
- 1 package of rice spaghetti pasta cooked al dente
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 6 cloves of sliced garlic
- 1 sliced bell pepper
- half a head of thinly sliced cabbage
- 2 carrots sliced
- 2 stalks of celery sliced
- ⅛-1/4 cup of coconut aminos
- 4 tbsp. of sesame oil
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 2 cups of diced cooked chicken or turkey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add all the vegetables in a pan and cover with broth, aminos and oil.
- Cover and let steam until cooked, I like mine with a bite left so this only take a few minutes.
- Add the pasta and let simmer until most of the liquid is soaked up.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add meat until just warmed.
This will be a hit with your kids and you can be happy to know you are feeding them a healthy dinner!