If you are looking for an easy homemade vapor rub that is effective, this is it. Using kid safe essential oils, the sniffles will be a thing of the past!
Colds are totally not fun. Sniffy, runny, stuffy noses for your kids can be heart breaking. I hate hearing them sniffle and blow, trying to get their noses cleared out. It’s quite miserable for everyone.
I remember my mom using Vick’s on me when I was little and when my oldest first got a cold I went to pick some up. Yikes! I couldn’t buy, it had way too many chemicals in it. I figured I could probably go ahead make one myself.
Making a homemade vapor rub is as easy as making salve. The bonus is also you can control how hard or soft you’d like it. You can also decide what oils to put in it. I have made different versions, one that uses kid safe essential oils and one that I use now that my children are older and on myself.
When making a homemade vapor rub you also have the advantage of it working better because you use natural oils that the skin will absorb, not something that is foreign to the body.
For colds, I apply to the chest, back and the bottoms of feet. For myself, I put it right under my nose but that is too strong for my kids, so I don’t recommended that for the little ones. I find the smell comforting and it helps keep things dripping instead of stopping up.
Homemade vapor rub
What you will need:
- One pan
- a jar with a lid
- 2 ounces of almond oil (or olive)
- 1/4 ounce of beeswax
- 12 drops of essential oils* (1% dilution)
- Put the almond oil and beeswax in a pan and slowly heat until the wax is melted
- Take off of the burn and stir in the essential oils
- Pour into jar and let cool
- Label and store for when needed
*A few options
- Kid’s safe Sneeze Stopper from Plant Therapy (Safe for all ages)
- For older children and adults Plant Therapy Respiratory Synergy
- If you don’t want a pre mix- 12 drops eucalyptus, 2 drops tea tree oil, 2 drops rosemary, 6 drops drop peppermint and 2 drops lavender (2% dilution)
This amount gets me through most winter germ season. I also like to make a few extras to be able to share with friends, who doesn’t love homemade vapor rub?
If you are down with a stuffy nose, I have a few more remedies that work well, here.
For more cold and flu care ideas, you can follow my pinterest board just for cold care!
What are some of your tried and true remedies for stuffy noses?