One of the areas in my life where I tend to lean on commercial items happen to be cleaning items. Sigh. I know how bad they are for our health, but I also know that I like my house to be clean!
What’s a girl to do?
I will admit that while I don’t use all natural cleaners (I’m keeping it real here, friends), I have started to use them for more things.
I love adding essential oils to cleaners. They smell great, are non toxic and when used properly can be very affordable.
Essential oils make me satisfied that my house really is clean. I have BOYS, you know how dirty those guys can be!
I used love using powdered carpet fresheners because they made the house smell so good.
But, I also know just how awful they are, so it was a cleaning product I gave up. I still miss the scents that filled my home though.
I decided that I needed to play around a bit and come up with my own. After researching and experimenting, I came up with a recipe that is easy to vacuum up, has a nice scent and it actually working at cleaning my carpet. Woot! Those are all great things, right?
The lavender and citrus are refreshing. (But you can totally change up the combination to fit your needs.)
(This part of the post contains affiliate links. While it is no extra cost for you to purchase, I do make a small profit that helps keep the content of the blog free.)
What equipment you will need:
- Spice grinder or blender
- A jar to store the powder in
- A lid that has holes in it (it is easy to make or you can find them here.)
- 3/4 cup of Baking powder (I buy in bulk to save a little bit of money)
- 1/4 cup of Dried orange peel (You can also make your own in your dehydrator)
- 10 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
- 20 drops Orange or Citrus Bliss Essential Oil
- Grind your orange peel until a fine powder
- Mix the powder with baking soda.
- Slowly drip the oils into the powder mixture and stir well or place in a plastic bag and shake
- Place in a jar to store
This is really simple and I love knowing that my house has just a few less chemicals.
If you are interesting in more natural cleaning products, check out this Pinterest board for ideas.
I just started an Instagram account…come see what my family is up to.
What are some of your favorite natural cleaning products for your home?