Since starting the autoimmune protocol, I have had to become more organized in the kitchen and grocery planning. If I don’t have meals and snacks plans I would be way too tempted to cheat.
However, because my food choices are limited, cooking time has cut down a bit. And while this dish has become a regular, it is so easy to change up!
Another thing I love about this, is that it is great at stretching out a pound of grass fed meat. Grass fed meat isn’t cheap, but only a pound per meal makes it doable for our family.
Cabbage is usually pretty affordable per pound and fills out and stretches this meal. My kids are not the biggest cabbage fans, but when it is sauteed with the other veggies and beef, they hardly notice the flavor.
The key is to brown the onions and garlic in grease to make them sweet. Shredded carrots also add a sweetness to the dish.
Adding different veggies will also give it a new flavor. So easy and fast!
If you are doing the Trim Healthy Mama plan, keep the carrots to a minimum and this is an S meal.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 head of shredded cabbage
- 1 large onion, shredded
- Several cloves of slice garlic (I like a lot!)
- 1-2 carrots shredded
- Bacon grease to fry (Or oil of preference)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- -Sautee onions and garlic in bacon grease until a nice golden color
- -Add cabbage and carrots and cook until wilted
- -Add ground beef and season with salt and pepper.
- -Cook until meat is no longer pink.
This post is linked at Phoenix Helix for the Paleo AIP recipe roundtable.