I was totally excited this week when I saw that the grocery store was doing their 10 for $10 sale. Normally this doesn’t excited me, however, this week it was loaded with fresh vegetables! Woot!
I love cooking with veggies as much as possible. I love the flavor, color and nutritional boost they give to meals.
My kids saw the bounty in my cart and quickly asked for ‘chinese’ food. How could I say no? They love some of the dishes I have come up with to replace our favorite restaurant dishes.
Sadly, many Asian restaurants load up their food with MSG, plus many of the sauces do not fit with the Trim Healthy Mama plan. I have good news though, friends, these dishes are easy to make at home! And you know what? You can easily make them S or E.
This dish on its own is a fuel pull. Today when I made it, we added brown rice to make it an E (carb) meal. To make a S (fats), add some yummy sesame oil or use a fattier cut of meat. This would also be yummy over the THM not naughty rice as well, keeping it in fuel pull territory. (These are made from kojnac roots)
Asian chicken and vegetables is also fast to throw together so it makes for an easy week night meal. (Double it for lunch leftovers the next day!) The leftovers also freeze well.
I also love that I used a good amount of bone broth in this recipe. One of my few simple things I am doing this winter to keep my family healthy, is getting at least one serving of broth in a day.
Also, we don’t use soy here so in place of that we use (affiliate link) coconut aminos. It is a great replacement!
And make sure you are using good quality salt. Our favorite is (affiliate link) Redmond’s Real Salt.
I love how easy this. You can really use whatever veggies you want, it is so versatile. It will be a family favorite, for sure. Plus, if you are dealing with food allergies, this is gluten, dairy, egg, msg and soy free. Woot!
You can find all of my THM meals on my pinterest board, plus many more.
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1-2 stocks of chopped broccoli
- 1 sliced red bell pepper
- 1 large onion sliced in long pieces
- 4 cloves of garlic sliced
- a handful of sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups of chicken bone broth (Skim that fat off if making this an E or FP meal)
- ¼ cup of coconut aminos
- salt and pepper to taste
- Clean and slice veggies, add to a pan with bone broth
- Let simmer slowly until the veggies are wilted (we like ours a bit al dente)
- While the veggies are cooking, put your chopped up chicken into a fry pan and salt and pepper generously
- Cook the meat until it is no longer pink.
- Add meat to veggies
- Add coconut aminos, salt and pepper to taste
- Serve by itself or over brown rice
- This recipe served my family of four.
What is your favorite Asian inspired dish you make a home?
This is post is linked at Real Food Forager for Fat Tuesdays.