I’ve been on a citrus kick, can you tell? It’s not so bad though, is it? I mean the peels for citrus fruit are awesome to use, you don’t have to just throw them away.
I really have a difficult time throwing away so much of one thing, citrus peels are part of that deal. That is why I started trying to find ways to save them and use them.
Dried citrus peels are great to add to cleaners or to tincture and use as bitters for digestion.
You can also use the fresh peel for lots of things to. I have even just simmered them on the stove with some cinnamon as an air freshener. (I love how fresh they smell!)
I found a few posts to share that use orange peels, so there is no need to waste them any longer. I think this is just one of those things to experiment with and find fun ways to use the peels.
10+ ways to use citrus peels
- DIY Citrus Cleaner from It takes Time
- DIY Lavender Citrus All Purpose Cleaner from Simply Healthy Home
- DIY All Natural Citrus Cleaner from A Delightful Home
- Citrus Enzyme Cleaner from Dr. Karen Lee
- This stuff will make you want to clean your home’s surfaces from Scratch Mommy
- Orange Peel Vinegar Cleaner from Green Talk
- Tangerine Vinegar from Attainable Sustainable
- DIY Lavender Citrus Carpet Freshener from Simply Healthy Home
- Candied Orange Peels from Raia’s Recipes
- Persian Jeweled Rice from Nutrients, you fools
- Candied Orange Peel from Fresh Bites Daily
- Orange Citrus Seasoning from Studio Botanica
- Homemade Citrus Salts from Fresh Bites Daily
I love finding ways to save as much as I can and this is a fun way to do that. My kids love oranges and grapefruits so we end up with a lot of peels.
Do you save your citrus peels? What’s your favorite way to use them?
This post is shared at The Real Food Forager for Fat Tuesdays’s.